Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Is A Priest Smarter Than A Rabbi?

For that matter, are Catholic priests- in general- smarter than all other Christian ministers?
I happen to think there is a kernel of real truth behind the genious of Seinfeld, who devoted a segment to the theory that forced celibacy makes men smarter. Not that priests are physically forced into celibacy, they are not. No- those guys, with few exceptions, deny their sexual desires in order that they might gain a deeper relationship with God.

Maybe its not just the sex? Humility may be another clue. Humility and genious are a powerful combination. The 2 or 3 Rabii's I've talked with were kind and certainly smart, but definitely not humble. And I can say without reservation that most of the many protestant ministers I have met are always reminding folks they know Greek and Hebrew-and we don't. I have noticed a certain humility in the few priests I've met.

  • So does celibacy make priests smarter?
  • Is celibacy the reason Nuns are mean?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


View My Stats